White City grenade attack: two suspects in court, names leak on social media

The grenade attack left two people dead and up to 50 injured at Bulawayo's White City Stadium last week.

 

Own Correspondent

 

TWO men identified as Douglas Musekiwa and John Zulu have been charged for the grenade attack at a Zanu-PF rally that left two people dead and nearly 50 others including Vice President Kembo Mohadi injured last week.

Newspapers reported on Sunday that the two had been (identified) in police investigations as having been in the crowd that was milling around the VIP stage as President Emmerson Mnangagwa and his entourage left the podium, seconds before (a grenade) was thrown into the VIP delegation.

Two confirmed dead from Bulawayo grenade attack, explosives experts comb White City Stadium for clues

The suspects are both reportedly from Bulawayo’s Pumula township. Copies of the police docket which is circulating on social media forums show that Bulawayo police were seeking legal authority for the two’s further detention.

According to the application made by a certain Chief Superintendent PR Moyo of Bulawayo Central Police Station, Musekiwa and Zulu were being charged with insurgency, banditry, sabotage or terrorism.

“Douglas Musekiwa arrested without a warrant and that from information available to me there are reasonable grounds of suspicion to the effect that he has committed the offence of c/s 23(c) (i) (ii) of the Criminal Law Codification and Reform Act Chapter 9:23. Insurgency, banditry, sabotage or terrorism and thus apply for a warrant for his further detention,” the police said.

A warrant for further detention is issued under Section 37 of the Criminal Procedure and Evidence Act.

Social media is awash with unconfirmed reports Musekiwa and Zulu were being held by the Military Intelligence Department in Bulawayo, and are now due to appear in court on Monday after the warrant for further detention was granted by a magistrate Gladmore Mushove behind closed doors at the Western Commonage Courts.

President Mnangagwa said a grenade caused the explosion that killed the two people at the rally that he was addressing last week, according to state-owned newspapers.

Dozens were injured by the blast, which took place where Mnangagwa was campaigning before elections this month.

The 12 things that you missed from the White City grenade attack on President Mnangagwa

The injured included Vice President Kembo Mohadi and the ruling party’s national chairman, Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri, a cabinet minister, who were taken to South Africa for treatment, Mnangagwa said.

Mnangagwa told reporters during an official visit to Tanzania that shrapnel had pierced Munchinguri-Kashiri’s chest, but she was recovering well at a South African hospital.

“You might be aware about events that took place Saturday when a hand grenade was thrown at me. But since you see me here, it means I am now fine,” Mnangagwa was quoted saying by the Herald newspaper.

Investigators from the police, army and national intelligence agency are still going through evidence from the Bulawayo stadium.

Mnangagwa said he suspected a defeated faction from his own ZANU-PF party linked to the wife of his predecessor, Robert Mugabe, was behind the attack. Mnangagwa replaced Mugabe after a de facto coup in November.

 

Comment on this report: Call/text/whatsapp: (+27) 834767918

Twitter:@realdigitalnews

Facebook: Zimbabwe Digital News