Staff Reporter and Sport24
Khama Billiat became the Absa Premiership’s highest earning footballer in South Africa after securing his move to Kaizer Chiefs from rivals Mamelodi Sundowns.
Newspapers revealed this week the amount the Zimbabwean forward is earning at the Glamour Boys who wouldn’t let money stand in the way of securing his services.
The 27-year-old signed a three year contract with an option of an additional year and is reportedly earning an eye-watering R10 million a year before tax.
That’s R833 333 per month.
Taking the taxman into consideration – as footballers are taxed at 38% – Billiat will be paid R515 000 a month, making him comfortably the top-earner in South Africa’s top-flight.
Sundowns coach Pitso Mosimane confirmed that the club could not meet Billiat’s financial demands, and issue which the star to join Chiefs.
“We gave him a good offer,” Mosimane said.
“Trust me, it was a big offer. The offer that we gave, he could have been the highest paid player, which would probably have taken four years for that record to be broken.”
Billiat is believed to have turned down another offer – and in hindsight with good reason – from Egyptian side Zamalek who were prepared to pay him an annual salary of $450 000 (R6 050 000).
By way of a comparison, Portuguese star forward Cristiano Ronaldo is set to earn a staggering R39.4 million after tax per month after sealing his move to Italian champions Juventus from Spanmish giants Reral Madrid this week.
Top 10 highest earners at the World Cup:
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona) R709 million (R13.6 million-a-week)
- Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain) R555 million (R10.6 million-a-week)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) R465 million (R8.9 million-a-week)
- Alexis Sanchez (Manchester United) R410 million (R7.8 million-a-week)
- Oscar (Shanghai SIPG) R370 million (R7.1 million-a-week)
- Ezequiel Lavezzi (Hebei Fortune) R355 million (R6.8 million-a-week)
- Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) R320 million (R6.1 million-a-week)
- Hulk (Shanghai SIPG) R308 million (R5.9 million-a-week)
- Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain) R280 million (R5.3 million-a-week)
- Paul Pogba (Manchester United) R270 million (R5.1 million-a-week)
Comment on this report: Call/text/whatsapp: (+27) 834767918