Wed. Jul 24th, 2019

Zimbabwe begins exhuming bodies of Mugabe-era massacre

A wreath is seen next to a grave on December 20, 2017 at a monument built on the grounds of disused Bhalagwe barracks in Maphisa, Matabeleland South province, Zimbabwe. Picture / AFP PHOTO / ZINYANGE AUNTONY

 

By AFP and VOA

Zimbabwe has started exhuming the remains of those killed in a massacre in the 1980s.
An organisation in Zimbabwe has started exhuming the remains of victims of a government massacre during former president Robert Mugabe’s rule.
The massacre claimed 20,000 lives.

According to rights groups, Mr Mugabe’s regime deployed a military unit trained in North Korea during the crackdown on a supposed rebellion in the western province of Matabeleland.
The targets were mainly members of the Ndebele ethnic group, who were perceived as backing a rival to Mr Mugabe, who is from the majority Shona group.
Many people, including women and children, were rounded up, tortured and killed during “Gukurahundi”, which loosely means “the early rain which washes away the chaff”.
Then 21-year old Thembi Ngwenya was the first to be exhumed as part of a healing process now promised by the government.
Ms Ngwenya was gunned down with her husband while on their way to the local train station, according to the head of the national peace and reconciliation commission.
A non-governmental organisation called the Ukuthula Trust exhumed Ngwenya’s remains on Sunday for reburial at a date to be decided later.
Sello Nare, a retired judge who now chairs the national peace and reconciliation commission said he attended the exhumation.
“The deceased had been buried in a rocky place and the grave was shallow,” he said.
“The reburials from my point of view are a healing process.
“I believe that should create closure as regards what took place.”
Mr Mugabe did not publicly apologise for the crackdown, except calling the killings “a moment of madness.”
President Emmerson Mnangagwa who took over from Mr Mugabe following a brief military takeover in 2017, was state security minister at the time of the killings.
He called for an open discussion to promote healing. The national healing commission is set to hold hearings later this year.

Settling Fifth Brigade atrocities

The exhumation of such remains is part of a state-sanctioned program to settle Fifth Brigade atrocities of the 1980s perpetrated by the North Korean-trained Gukurahundi, a militia that was aligned to the ruling party then led by President Robert Mugabe.

Justin Tshuma’s brother, Amon Joseph Tshuma, said, “I’m happy that this has been done and I believe that these two needed to be laid to rest in a proper way instead of what happened to them after they were killed by the notorious brigade.”

Both the NRP and Kuthula Trust are expected to conduct similar exhumations in Matabeleland and the Midlands provinces where the Fifth Brigade was deployed to suppress an insurrection led by some disgruntled former ZIPRA combatants.

Gukurahundi killed an estimated 20,000 people in the two regions. President Emmerson Mnangagwa, who has been accused of taking part in the killings, has urged Zimbabweans to talk openly about Gukurahundi and rebury remains of their loved ones dumped in shallow mass graves.

 

Comment on this report: Call/text/whatsapp: (+27) 834767918

Twitter:@realdigitalnews

Facebook: Zimbabwe Digital News